Things for which Wudhu is obligatory
322. It is obligatory to perform Wudhu for the following six things:
For all obligatory prayers, except Namaz-e-Mayyit. As regards Mustahab prayers, Wudhu is a condition for their validity.
For the Sajdah and Tashahhud which a person forgot to perform during the prayers, provided that he invalidated his Wudhu after namaz, and before performing those forgotten acts. It is not obligatory to perform Wudhu for Sajdatus sahw.
For the obligatory Tawaf of the holy Ka'bah.
If a person has made a Nadhr, or a solemn pledge, or taken an oath for Wudhu.
If a person has made a Nadhr, for example, that he would kiss the Holy Qur'an.
For washing and making Pak the holy Qur'an which has become najis, or for
taking it out from lavatory etc. in which it has fallen, when he becomes obliged
to touch the script of the holy Qur'an with his hand, or some other part of
But if t he delay by making Wudhu causes further desecration of the holy Qur'an, one should take it out from lavatory etc., or make it Pak, without performing Wudhu.
323. It is haraam to touch the script of the holy Qur'an with any part of one's body, without performing Wudhu. However, there is no harm in touching the translation of the holy Qur'an, in any language, without Wudhu.
324. It is not obligatory to prevent a child or an insane person from touching the script of the holy Qur'an. However, if their touching the holy Qur'an violates its sanctity, they should be prevented from touching it.
325. It is haraam, as an obligatory precaution, to touch the Name of Allah or His special Attributes without Wudhu, in whichever language they may have been written. And it is also better not to touch, without Wudhu, the names of the holy Prophet of Islam, the holy Imams and Janabe Fatima Zahra (peace be upon them).
326. If a person performs Wudhu or Ghusl before the time for prayers, in order to be in state of purity, they will be deemed valid. And even if he performs Wudhu near the time of namaz, with the niyyat of preparing himself for namaz, there is no objectio n.
327. If a person believes that the time for prayers has set in, and makes the niyyat of Wajib Wudhu, and then realises after performing the Wudhu that the time for the prayers had not set in, his Wudhu is in order.
328. Wudhu is Mustahab for the following purposes:
Visiting the graves.
Entering a mosque.
Entering the Shrines of the holy Prophets and Imams (A.S.).
For reading, writing, or touching the margin or border of the holy Qur'an, or for keeping it with oneself.
Before going to bed for sleep. It is also Mustahab that a person already in Wudhu, should perform a fresh Wudhu for every namaz.
If he has performed Wudhu for any one of the above purposes, he can commit all acts which require Wudhu. For example, he can even pray with that Wudhu.